100%, better than sliced bread, team of the Universe Alfreton Town vs Boston United
I don't even know where to begin. Amazing result, amazing day; just brilliant, FACT. I can't tell you about the goal because I couldn't see it. I can only tell you it was Sleath who scored it because that's who the internet said. I can't even tell you
that much about the game other than it was fairly even, but with the aid of Craig Singleton's notes on the official site I'll give it a go...
 |
| The 400 Boston. |
Boston travelled to the
Impact Arena (terrible name, I know) for the first time in a couple of years. Last time out here held some bad memories as Alfreton won the game, scoring by shoving our 'keeper of the time into the net whilst he was clutching the ball. The referee that day was terrible, not much has changed in the Conf. North then. On arrival, via a pub and a few dead-end roads, the Pilgrims supporters battled their way through fields and dirt tracks to the turnstile into our section of the segregation. I think Alfreton had made the same mistake as Corby and assumed that when we said we were bringing 500 we actually meant 50. It wasn't quite that bad but you get the idea, 400 Boston fans crammed into one third of the terracing behind the goal with a further 100 or so ending up sat amongst the Alfreton fans down one side. Official reports put the total attendance at 1309 which seems a little high. When you bear in mind Alfreton's usual
attendances it does suggest that 200-300 turned out just to see the Boston.
 |
| The 800 Alfreton Ultras... |
The game was well balanced during the first half with Alfreton having the better of the chances. They went really close twice in front of the Boston fans just before the break; not that I was able to see the goal line from where I was stood, nor was anyone else for that matter. Alfreton were a physical side and tried to stifle the Pilgrims creativity, which worked to some extent. Not that Alfreton don't play football, they are definitely one of the best teams we've played but Boston were matching them and still not playing well.
 |
| The view from the shed: not the best in the world. |
After the break the Alfreton 'Ultras' relocated themselves to the far end and the Boston boys were let through to fill their shed for them. fifteen minutes into the second period Alfreton were awarded a penalty, it looked ridiculous but then I was stood 100 yards away! The sinking feeling of the last trip to Alfreton was returning, that is until McKeown pulled off a good save from a terrible spot-kick. Game-on! The penalty miss lifted Boston and five minutes later
Sleath continued his improvement in form by banging home from the edge of the box. I saw the shot, I saw the keeper dive and I saw the net shake; that's good enough for me even if I didn't see it cross the line! Alfreton came at the Pilgrims but never showed enough to break through even in their six minutes of 'Fergie time'. So the final whistle blew leaving the Boston fans going absolutely mental at the score: 100%, better than sliced bread, top of the league, the Pope endorsed, team of the Universe Alfreton Town 0 Boston United 1. EPIC!
Next up: FA cup second qualifying round action, as
Worcester City visit York St.
we have a vid of the ALFRETON missed penalty on our site - thought you might like to see it again !
ReplyDeletehttp://nonleaguefootballinsider.co.uk/#/video/4543324223
Cheers for that. What an absolutely terrible penalty! Brilliant!
ReplyDelete