Wednesday, 12 October 2011

No football today...


... Not from Boston United at least!  Worst United performance since the mighty Captain Clean was at the club.  Worst defeat I can remember since Grimsby won 6-0 at York St and everyone and their mum walked out before the end.  To coin a phrase: What a load of rubbish!  Boston's week got off to a flyer by losing at Kidsgrove and going out of the FA Cup at the first available opportunity, AGAIN!  That has happened far, far too many times in the last few years and is costing the club money and supporters.

TWO teams come out at Moss Lane, although you'd never have known it!
To recover from this shocking defeat and, from what I heard, equally shocking performance; United did the obvious thing and made several changes including dumping our best midfielder out of the squad at a cold and rainy Moss Lane.  Perfect.  Both Faircloughs played on the same side, either that or I'd had one too many beers and was seeing double.  They are, after all, exactly the same player.  "Utility" player ("utility", I have learned, is code for s***), Armstrong, played alongside Wilkinson in the midfield.  I say midfield but they very, very rarely spent any time in the middle of the park, in fact the only players that made it into the centre circle were the Altrincham midfield passing it about with impunity and the Boston strikers kicking-off after conceding yet another goal.

Some rare quality possession for United.
The defence was, erm, not very good.  That's pretty diplomatic actually, there are a lot worse things that could be said of them.  I learned at primary school that the ball should never be allowed to bounce by a defender; seemingly that isn't something that the United defenders are aware of.  The defence hadn't exactly covered itself in glory by the time the first Alty goal arrived on 15 mins; it was entirely Austin's fault as the ball arrowed in across the front of him and he just stood there and watched it go past, followed by Reeves going past him, followed by the ball in the net.  15 mins later and Alty were two up as Lawrie, made best use of the several acres of space gifted to him, to put the ball past Bazza.

The goals were arriving at regular intervals, the next one coming just after half-time.  Lawrie, searching for his second, saw his shot rebound off Bastock only to be headed in by Reeves.  That might sound like Bazza's fault but when Alty can have strikers lining up to put chances away with no one marking them it's not surprising he struggled.  You know it's bad when there are opposition players stood on the corner of the penalty area following a set piece and the goalkeeper is the closest defender...

Alty waste yet another free header in the United box.
The goals maintained the regular flow of one every 15-20 minutes except this time it was Boston who put one away.  One sub set up another with Semple putting in an excellent cross for gaffer Lee to head home at the back stick.  The reason this was the only United chance I have mentioned is that, as far as I remember, it's the only one that we had.  Mulready, the new lad from Grimsby, didn't play badly but it's difficult to create chances when you never get the ball.

Alty stepped up the pace following this "set-back" and put 3 more past a woeful United team in the last 15 minutes.  Reeves practically walked through Jelleyman to complete his hat-trick.  Then five minutes before full-time Mulholland set up Twiss before scoring his own goal to make it 6-1 and complete United's humiliation.  I've only written about the Altrincham goals because if I were to write about all the chances that they didn't convert I'd be here all week!  Suffice to say that Bastock was United's best player and Alty could have had double figures were it not for him.

Next weeks thrashing will be away at Histon.

No comments:

Post a Comment